Profile and BackgroundReframing Hope
- More than 25 years experience
- Specialist in Marriage, Family and Child Therapy
- Masters of Arts – Marriage, Family and Child Therapy
- Bachelor of Arts – Social Development Studies
- Clinical Fellow  OAMFT & AAMFT
The primary driving force in Heidi’s life is her passion and understanding towards helping people overcome psychological, emotional, habitual, and behavioural problems. Heidi has spent most of her adult life studying the workings of the human mind and how it can be influenced, shaped, and positively impacted. She holds a systemic (holistic) view of the relationships and interactions between the mind and body.
- Masters of Arts Marriage, Family and Child Therapy – Phillips Graduate Institute Chatsworth, California, USA 1988
- Bachelor of Arts Social Development Studies – University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON 1984
- Two-year Clinical Internship – Interfaith Pastoral Counselling Centre – Kitchener, ON 1989
Licenses, Certifications and Affiliations:
- Pending Registered Psychotherapist (Ontario, Canada) (Designation change in 2016)
- Registered Marriage and Family Therapist (Ontario, Canada)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (Texas, USA)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (Texas, USA)
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (Texas, USA)
- Trained in evidenced-based practices
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Multi-Systemic Therapy (MST)
- Supervisor and Advance Supervisor MST
- Solution-focused Brief Therapy
- Trauma-focused Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Trained in Critical Incident Response, Wraparound and Single Care Family Plan
- Member of the Ontario Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
Therapies and Diverse Experience
Heidi, with more than 30 years of experience in diverse areas of human behaviour, has made more than 100 court appearances as an expert witness both in Canada and the USA. She also worked with regional governments and private agencies to reduce levels of youth-at-risk re-offenders by as much as 30%. She has trained Masters-Level Therapists and Child/Youth Specialists in evidence-based-practices and therapies including Solution-Focused Brief Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Coping Cat(1), Motivational Interviewing, and Multi-Systemic Therapy.
Heidi acquired academic designations and certifications in her quest to develop her expertise in clinical counselling and life coaching. That advanced knowledge and training, combined with her broad and diverse experience, helps her develop clear, concise, and practical solutions for people who are dealing with depression, anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Attention Deficit Issues, marital issues, separation and divorce, gambling and other addictions, alcohol and drug abuse, youth-at-risk, bullying, survivors of abuse, overspending, grief and loss, workforce downsizing. Heidi also sees people who identify as “LGBTTQQ” (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Trans, Two-spirit, Queer, Questioning) and their families.
Heidi uses a number of strategies to help people. Her engaging approach quickly identifies issues and together, with the client, develops a strength-based treatment plan. This style of counselling helps clients stay motivated throughout the treatment process.
North Dakota State Statute #2359: Mandatory Support/ Intervention Post Trauma for Critical Incidents/ Railroad – passed in 2001 – State law that mandates support for railway workers traumatized by a critical incident. The State Department of Transportation later used this law as a prototype for state laws affecting critical incident response in the transportation sector across the nation.
Recent Blog Posts
Learn from the top thought leaders in the industry.
Shy or Too Scared: Social Anxiety According to Columbia Medical Centre researchers and the National Association on Mental Illness (NAMI), Social Anxiety is the most common type of anxiety reported. Social anxiety disorder, also known as a social phobia, occurs when...
When tempers are rising and your child has broken a rule, it is tempting to consequence BIG. Many parents get frustrated and consequence or impose a grounding for long periods of time so their kids FEEL the punishment. [click title above to read more…]
When anxiety is too much to take
Am I crazy to be feeling this stressed? Will a good night’s sleep cure these headaches? According to the National Institute of Mental Health, Anxiety Disorders are the most common mental health challenges reported to doctors and other health care professionals. [click title above to read more…]